The current era of technology that we live in is amazing; we are able to do things we previously never thought possible. The capability of smartphones rivals that of the 3rd and 4th generation desktop computers. We are able to surf the web, continuously interact with friends and co-workers, play games, and keep track of all our sensitive information. And we can do all of this on the run. Incredible!
However, there are still those people out there that want to exploit these wonderful devices. That being said, we have to make sure to take the simple precautionary steps to protect ourselves.
Step #1 – Turn on the screen lock functionality. Just do it!
– While you make think it’s tedious to unlock your phone every time the screen shuts off. You are preventing others from accessing your personal information. Also, they have time options so that it will only lock if the screen has been off for 5, 10, or even 15 minutes.
– This can be done through the settings menu on your phone.
– Do it!
Step #2 – Remember to turn off the GPS and Wi-Fi when you don’t need them.
– Unless you want to share your location on social media apps like Facebook and Twitter, this functionality really isn’t necessary.
– Also many location-tracking apps use them to figure out where you are. Most of the time it is for their statistics to figure out how to make their apps better.
– But better to be safe than sorry. If you want someone to know where you are just call them and tell them. You can turn these options off in the settings menu.
Step #3 – (Only for Non-Apple Products) Download a 3rd-Party Virus Protection Application.
– For all the Android users out there, you have the ability to download virus protection software for your phone due to the fact that Google’s developer platform is completely “open”. Everyone with an iPhone or iPad; you just have to trust Apple with your phone’s security.
– Many of the anti-virus apps for Android can be run in the background, just like similar software for your computer. They will scan your phone from time to time and help you remove any files that may be harmful.
– ** However, be careful! There are a lost of free apps out there posing to be security apps and they actually will allow hackers to control your phone.** “Downloader Beware”
Step #4 – Enable The Anti-Theft Settings
– These settings allow you to track, locate, or even erase a stolen or lost phone.
– Options like this have been available on Apple products for sometime now and are just being released on Androids.
– They also help if you misplace your phone.
That’s it for now. Just be wary of putting confidential information on your cell phone, you never know who might find it. Unfortunately, it’s not likely to be a person who will friendly enough to return it.